Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Getting Green

My kids do pretty well at eating their vegetables, especially green beans and carrots and broccoli. But, the adventurousness wears off after those staples. And, Elliot is determined to eat things only when he decides its time, or usually at the threat of not getting dessert.

Well, yesterday I found a new way to get Elliot excited about his veggie intake! I made my regular daily "Green Lemonade" (from Natalia Rose's Raw Food Detox Diet) that has a pretty simple ingredient list:

5 leaves of kale
1 head of celery, or one head of romaine lettuce
2 apples
1 lemon
1 inch chunk of ginger root
(Sometimes I add a beet or some cucumber, too)
Throw all ingredients into the juicer and then drink.

I was measuring out a glass for myself and Elliot got the idea to drink from his mini-measuring cup. I poured the green lemonade in and he spent a long time pouring water into the almost full cup until it was just about to overflow, then sipping madly to drink it before it spilled over.


It was a fun measuring game for him and all I could see while he measured and drank were the anti-oxidants, vitamin C, and iron dropping into his little body with each sip (the sound in my head went something like "ka-ching! ka-ching! ka-ching!)

Go Green!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Genius! Abosultely genius! The color lures you in I believe. GG

Anonymous said...

Oh, I wish you were cooking for me!!. It sounds good! That Elliot is such a little guy! I love him! Owen got right into the middle of my heart too, with his gentle sweet sweet ways!! Keep up the good work, Lisel!!!!

Aunt Carol