Sometimes, I feel like the clock stops at 8pm. I spend all day running around spinning plates with endless flicks of the wrist and then carefully sweeping the broom when those spinning plates fall. The proverbial balancing act. Some days I achieve that balance more than others. Some days the shattered pieces are scattered all over the floor. Either way, I feel the mad dash of energy all working up to 8pm when it's lights out and the tone of the day shifts. It's an odd rush of energy, where I feel I must clean the kitchen, I must wash the dishes, I must turn off the lights and put the house to sleep so that the boys can also sleep. Then 8pm hits and it's lights out and the house is quiet. Paul sits in the boys' room telling them endless iterations of the Bobby stories (that's another post, I think) until they drift off to sleep. Meanwhile, the house is wrapped in a quiet lull that is irresistible.
I'm not very productive after that, so if there is something to get done, it needs to all happen before that magic turn of the hour hand and sometimes, to accomplish everything before that time, I get the strange feeling that I'm halting a huge ocean liner and trying to park it in a Smart car parking space with one smooth move. The amount of energy it takes to get to that magic hour is unbelievable. No wonder when it's lights out for the boys, it's basically lights out for me too. I don't actually get into bed myself until close to midnight, but those quiet evening hours are a magic all their own.
It's got to be a really appealing project to get me into the rehearsal space or on stage again.... the theatre life starts to really heat up after 8pm. Rehearsals are usually 6-10pm, or 7-11pm. Shows start at 8pm. When I'm not rehearsing or doing a show, I wonder where on earth I could possibly find the energy to make my mad dash of the day last until 11pm. Yes, I've done it before and I'll do it again. But for right now I'm enjoying the down time.
3 comments:
You wrote this beautifully, Lisel. And I'm astonished that you don't collapse in a heap at 8:30 pm and STILL stay up till midnight??!! Wow! After a day of sitting at the computer all day, I'm exhausted in the evening from all the brain work. You, on the other hand, are doing great physical and mental work with the boys. Don't know how you do it, but you are definitely a SUPER mom!
Nana Liana
Boy, I know the feeling. It brought back many many memories. I remember saying once, everyone wants a piece of me and I remember of feeling like I can hardly do this. You do a great job Lisel. I'm so proud of Paul telling his continuous story to the little boys. Bill did a similar thing. His continuous story was about Joe, the Worm! The kids all remember the stories! One Thanksgiving I remember him telling them a story that I thought was totally worth publishing. Are you going to publish yours, Paul??? Love you all!
Aunt Carol
You do write beautifully, Lisel, and it seems that your inspired thoughts occur sometime after 8 PM. When you have that much creative juice left over after 8 PM, I say that is astounding! I am thrilled that Paul is telling the boys stories. Those tales will be remembered for a very long time. We you all so much!! GG
Post a Comment