Quinoa is the mother of all grains. I have two recipes that I make as my "signature dishes" when I'm required to bring something to a potluck get together. Partly because this way I know I will eat at least one thing healthy at said potluck, and I know I won't have to eat a dinner comprised of store-bought 3-bean dip or some mysterious casserole with bell peppers (seriously, why does everyone love bell peppers so much? tangent: I could live my whole life without even seeing a bell pepper and be completely satisfied gastronomically).
At any rate, in the past two weeks I attended two potluck events, and I made a quinoa salad each time. Everybody raved about the dishes, and asked me for the recipe, and since I merely collected them from other sources myself, I decided I would become the quinoa ambassador to all my loyal readers. I typed up my "signature dish" recipes and I am offering them to the world to learn the goodness and yumminess of quinoa.
Curried Quinoa and Apple Salad
---originally from Martha Stewart Living
¼ cup raw almonds
1 cup quinoa
1 tsp. honey
1 TBSP shallot
1 tsp curry powder
¼ tsp salt
2 TBSP lemon juice
Freshly ground pepper
2 TBS olive oil
2 TBS dried currants or raisins
1 apple, cut into 1/8 inch wedges
¼ cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
1. Toast the almonds.
2. Make the quinoa according to package directions.
3. Whisk together honey, shallot, curry powder, salt, lemon juice in large bowl. Season with pepper. Whisking constantly, pour oil in a slow steady stream; whisk until dressing is emulsified. Add quinoa, currants, apple, mint and nuts, toss well.
Spinach Quinoa Salad with Cherries
-- originally from Vegetarian Times
¼ cup sliced almonds
1 ½ cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
2 cups spinach leaves
2 cups fresh cherries, or 1 cup dried cherries ( I use cranberries sometimes instead)
1 cucumber, peeled, seeded and diced ( about 1 ½ cups)
1 15oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 small red onion, finely chopped
¼ cup plain low-fat yogurt
3 TBS olive oil
2 TBSP fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1. Toast almonds.
2. Make the quinoa according to package directions.
3. Lay 5 or 6 spinach leaves flat on top of one another on cutting board. Roll tightly into cylinder, then slice into slivers. Repeat with remaining spinach.
4. Toss together quinoa, cherries, almonds, spinach, cucumber, chickpeas and red onion in a large serving bowl. Whisk together yogurt, olive oil, ,lemon juice and garlic in small bowl. Pour over salad and toss to cat. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Chill 30 minutes to allow flavors to develop, then serve.
Yesterday, after a crowded day filled with playing with friends, taking my cat to the vet (that's another story), and spring cleaning the art supplies, I made the salad for the third time in the past few weeks for my family dinner. The Whole Menu: Veggie Burgers & Quinoa/Spinach Salad, Hemp Ice Cream and Homemade Vegan Carob-Chip Cookies for dessert. (The boys had real organic ice cream). At any rate, it was a great way to cap off a busy day!
3 comments:
Oooooooo, just added these recipes to my files. And will make at least one this weekend. They sound heavenly! Thanks for sharing. Who'da thunk in 1972 when Rich and I gave up meat, that all these years later, you are also teaching your kids about being not only vegetarian but vegan! Way to go Lisel!!!
Ahhh! Quinoa! I just bought another supply last night. Your recipes are timely - think I will have to try them out. To quote Elliot, it will probably be "just delicious"
GG
How wonderful!! I'm going to try this!!!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment