Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Writing Time

Since last October I have had a babysitter come every Wednesday night from 5-8:30pm. Normally, we have sitters come for nights out, or during brief stints while I've been at rehearsal for a few weeks here or there. Of course, Ruth and Elmer and my Mom, and even my sister Kirsten (when she lived nearby) have been wonderful help during those times.

But last fall I decided to invest the money in paying someone to come during the middle of the week, every week. At first I ran errands, or went to the gym, or met friends for coffee. Then I realized that it was my only time to sit and be by myself and think my own thoughts and since I was paying for it, I better use it wisely! So, a few months ago I started using that block of time to write.

The evening has a beautiful ritual to it now: the sitter comes over, I go to the coffee shop, write for a couple of hours and then meet Paul for dinner at a casual spot where we can talk without interruption, or without cleaning up broken glasses, or spilled milk, etc. And then, we come home and the kids are already in bed and asleep. It is has truly been one of the best investments ever -- in my sanity, in our marriage, and in my ability to get through the week. At first I felt guilty for ditching the kids every week. But now, I admit, I rely on it as a necessity.

And, the bonus is that during those dedicated hours of writing, I have actually been doing some.... (wait for it........) WRITING!!!! Yes, my writer's file box filled with clippings and jotted-down ideas and unfinished "masterpieces" from years past is getting renewed attention and I'm finding that I actually might enjoy this writing business after all. Suddenly, the muse is in me. Was she there all along, napping, while I made dinner and changed diapers and built marble runs?

It's amazing how I can wait all week and then sit down during those two hours and focus only on the task at hand. It's like all these past years of multi-tasking to the Nth degree has honed my ability to laser focus when the need arises.

Here we are in Spring Break week, though, and I canceled the sitter for tonight so that Owen and Elliot and I could have an afternoon play date with some friends instead. Well worth the cancellation and I am so looking forward to spending an afternoon and evening with some dear, dear friends.

But, I'm hearing the voice in the back of my head calling to me "write. write. Write!"

Now I can't wait until next Wednesday. The muse will be there, I know. She's patient and loyal and eager to be heard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I see that I have been neglectful in following up with all of your lovely blog entries. I must catch up.

I agree, you do have a beautiful talent with writing your thoughts and the very fact that you had to set it aside for awhile, come back to it with renewed energy, and take off has you have tells me that your talent is inherent and God given. Your thoughts are very crisp and they have a kind of universal appeal. (certainly being the energetic, innovative mother you are and having two very intelligent, charming little boys to continually stimulate this in you is a great combination of things to continually stimulate your writing skills. Hang in there, you are doing great. Now I see I have to work my way backwards in this blog to catch up on all of your other entries that I have missed:) GG
BTW we love being with the boys. We find ourselves eager rearrange our schedules to spend time with them.

Anonymous said...

Lisel, that is such a neat idea!! Probably every mother in the world should give themselves a break like that! I'm thinking that you should write a book! How about it? There would probably be many areas that you could write about! Like Clark said to me once, "DO IT, DO IT, DO IT!!! You are such a good mom!

Aunt Carol

Liana C said...

So excited to learn that you are writing again. Wasn't sure what you were doing in that block of time, but writing is a beautiful use of time! And you are writing about what.....?

It helps the kids to not always be with you - good for them to be with others (and the babysitter is fabulous!) and grow in social skills.

Love that you take care of yourself, and of course, your marriage too by blocking out time for yourselves!!

Oh such a great mom!!

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Write every chance you get...good, bad...or indifferent. Just write. Sopmeone once told me that if you want to be a writer, write. You have always been good at it...and you always seemed to enjoy doing it. Wow, the perfect fomula...enjoy.

love,

dad