Our neighbor was playing with us at the time, and she was drawing a large flowerbed. She quickly filled her page with large, colorful spring flowers drawn with markers and crayons. Owen, however, took his time and carefully, meticulously drew branches and a representation of our patio furniture....
Lately, Owen has been saying he wants to be an artist when he grows up (although scientist is still high on his list). We looked into some art classes for him, but frankly I'm not finding the right class for him. I think he would love to learn some actual technique, like how to use pencils and shading, texturing, contrast, watercolors..... a lot of the art classes for this age group are more general "creative expression" classes.
Can anybody recommend a good book to look at? Maybe we can do some art classes at home, on our own.
Summer is coming. I've already signed Owen up for a couple of summer camps that fit right in the pocket of his interests right now -- and I'm already hatching ideas of family drawing times, book making and general art exploration.... but before summer is here we are trying to explore the budding springtime of creativity, as well.
I'll let you know how it goes!
4 comments:
"BUDDING ARTIST INDEED! I AM IMPRESSED! Owen, your picture is wonderfully detailed and besides that it is just very sweet. Even the hummingbird is smiling.
If I learn of an extraordinary art school, I will pass it on, but I think what you are doing is very inspiring to Owen already. Coming up with a great idea in a relaxed backyard with great support is tremendous inspiration. Don't underestimate yourself, Lisel. I am looking forward to the projects coming up. GG
I just realized that I never answered this! Actually I was going to see if Peggy could suggest a book on art and I never got that done either. I really suggest that you go to a reputable High school art teacher and get a suggestion from him/her! I did that for Julie when she was a budding artist!! It is fun to encourage these God given talents!! Great job Owen!! I'd like to hug you right now!!
Aunt Carol
Owen has always been super meticulous about everything he does. I remember his drawing of Percy that he did years ago, which I sent on to my friend at the Metropolitan Museum, since it seemed so like a Picasso rendering! Owen should never forget that he has had his art hung at the Met (albeit in Dick's office)!!
And this picture of the backyard with the hummers is fantastic! Owen scores again with detail, depth, precision, and visual acuity! Oh such a great budding artist!
Have you checked the stuff at Spanish Village? They are running some decent classes for kids. Worth looking into.
Nana Liana
After spending the evening with you last night, I was inspired to visit your blog to catch up with your lives. After seeing Owen's remarkable drawing, I was motivated to find something helpful about teaching him to draw. I goggled around this morning and found this article by a college art professor who teaches children. I was impressed with his approach and offer it for your consideration. Many of his suggestions I have used in my study of art and can recommend them with enthusiasm. Most of all, I appreciate the respectful spirit of his work. Hope you find it useful. Love, Barbara http://www.goshen.edu/art/ed/draw.html
Post a Comment