You see, last year on picture day I had Owen wear a nice shirt and didn't think I had to do much more. Owen's a photogenic kid and he's got a great smile, so all I thought about was how easy and fun it would be. Picture day passed, and I didn't think more about it until the photos came back a few weeks later. And there it was: a huge glob of peanut butter from Owen's lunchtime sandwich that no one in the photo session had bothered to wipe off. And then, whoever had monitored the photo booth managed to comb Owen's hair in the absolute dorkiest way possible.
Lesson #1: Do NOT under any circumstances express disappointment over the way your child looks in a school photo. I think my reaction was along the lines of "Oh, no! There's peanut butter on your face!" Now, that may seem pretty innocuous to you, but I think I traumatized Owen for life on that one. One glance at his crestfallen face and I knew I shouldn't have mentioned it at all... I know it doesn't sound like a big deal, but seriously Owen hasn't wanted me to pack him a peanut butter sandwich for lunch since then. The poor kid is traumatized by the peanut butter incident!
Lesson #2: Iron the boy's shirt! I never iron. What can I say, it is one of those tasks I never do and I don't own a single thing that needs to be ironed. Except, I recently noticed that all of Owen's nice shirts are a wrinkly mess. In his school picture, not only does he have a peanut butter smear on his cheek, his shirt looks like I pulled it off the floor that morning. So, tomorrow I plan on locating the iron, dusting off the ironing board and laying out some clothing options for him.
Lesson #3: Do NOT pack him peanut butter, and if you do, pack a wet wipe as a napkin. (see Lesson #1)
Here's his last school picture, just for the record:

And yes, he's got a fantastic smile and is absolutely handsome. I'm still getting nervous for Wednesday, though. Wish me luck!
4 comments:
Oh, Lisel, reminds me of Kirsten's "permanent" in middle school! Owen looks good dressed in mud... he is just one brilliantly adorably photogenic kid (wouldn't be his adorable parents now would it?). All will go beautifully, and there will be great photos to share. Do you know that if you hadn't said anything, I wouldn't have noticed from last year's pic? See, all is forgiven! And Owen will look smashing tomorrow!
Nana Liana
Oh, I remember that trauma, I mean photo, well! But Owen did look great and he'll be fine. I'll take all the pictures you want to send me! Love, Aunt Kirstie
I agree, Owen's smile almost totally obliterates the peanut butter. He is adorable - peanut butter and all.
He will take another great picture tomorrow and we will just love it!! GG
Owen is as cute as he can be and I don't see many wrinkles in the shirt at all! I bet he will take a smashing picture this year! How can you lose with such an adorable kid!!!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment