Thursday, March 11, 2010

This one is about me: Celebrating 4 years of blogging

Due to an odd course of events, (including starting a juicing regimen and following a mostly raw food diet -- I know, I'll explain it all later), I've been feeling like a new person lately. It's not that I didn't like the old me, but I felt stuck. I was uninspired, unambitious and unproductive. Despite feeding my family and keeping the home fires burning, I felt there was little else to give. Well, I've been on this new "diet" for four weeks now and I have never felt better.


The details are interesting, but this post is actually about something else. (How's that for a segue?). As a wonderful byproduct of feeling better and having more energy, I've been spring cleaning up a storm lately and feeling very "Bring it on, world!". In all my organizing, I came across a box in the garage that contained my diploma from college. It was like unearthing a treasure from another age. Long before husband and children, I went to school (after graduating from high school at age 16) and got a degree in acting ( Bachelor of Fine Arts, to be precise) and a minor in writing. I graduated Summa Cum Laude and at the time felt that the world was my oyster.


It's funny revisiting such tokens now, because of course I'm a totally different person from that saucer-eyed girl. Thank goodness, really, because I have never been happier than I am right now. But it did remind me that some ambitions are not to be discarded so easily. I'm sure this is a moment of realization that a lot of moms have once they re-enter the work force after having children. But my line of work is a different can of worms altogether. I never really put that creative side on hold, I just partitioned it and placed it on a shelf and brought it out occasionally to do theatre when the family schedule allowed (or, to write on this blog about the tidbits of family life).


Lately I've been wondering, what would happen if I tried to bring all those facets into the whole? Can I be a mother and an actor and a writer? Is it even possible?


This is all to explain that there may be some changes coming to this blog. Maybe there will be room here for a little more reflection about life and art and motherhood. Maybe I can find my voice through the daily ritual of writing. Maybe some days it will still be all about the kids. Maybe some days it won't.


Either way, I hope you'll stay tuned through this phase. After almost 4 years of keeping this blog, I'm excited to see where this next step leads.

5 comments:

Bethany said...

Wow. Four years of blogging. AND acting, writing, and motherhood--cool. I really look forward to the next phase of your blog!

Anonymous said...

We, too, are excited to see your creative juices flowing through this blog. No doubt we will all benefit from your talents (and you have many). You are an excellent writer. Elmer and I have enjoyed your blogging but we DIDN'T know that you actually have a minor in writing along with your Bachelor of Fine Arts. We will be keeping a close look out for each new post. BTW, I like the sounds of your diet. Elmer and I like to keep it raw as much as possible as well. I agree that it is very beneficial. GG

Anonymous said...

Lisel - you are amazing! I don't know how you do it all, but it's definitely awe-inspiring. I hope I can do 1/4 of all that you do when I'm a mother. And I'll only have one. Looking forward to the next phase/s. Kirst

Anonymous said...

Bring it on!!!! I can't say I was ever bored with the old blogs, however!! It keeps me updated on things at the Paul Getz household!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

I took Elliot to the store today. - A trip that lasted about twenty minutes. - And upon our return, Lisel had a batch of very healthy, and very yummy, cookies baking in the oven as a treat for us.

Now, I know we're all quite biased but she’s absolutely terrific, something I don’t tell her often enough.

Paul