If this post gave you the impression that we were having a lazy morning this past Saturday, I need to dissuade you from that assumption. In actuality, Owen and I got up early, ate breakfast, and left the house by 7am to run in the Magic Mile Kid's Race for Literacy.
Owen goes to Jogging Club at his school and joined the school's team to run the race. I say run, but Owen really wanted to walk with Mr. D -- his 1st grade teacher -- who was leading the Magic Mile team. Here he is with his teacher:
Our school has a really great VI (Visually Impaired) program and attracts students from all over the county for it's methods and policies in VI integration.... and we had a group of about 8 VI students participating in the race as well. Mr. D was holding the banner and planned on walking with the VI kids -- and Owen wanted to walk with Mr. D, so to make a long story short our 1 mile "run" turned into a beautifully casual "saunter" through the park on a gorgeous sunny morning.
Despite the fact that we didn't actually race, it didn't really matter, because every finisher got a medal (and a book). And all in all we probably walked about 2 miles what with the "race" itself and walking to and from the car.... so we certainly got our exercise. Plus, Owen got to hang out with his favorite teacher in the universe and then we got to go home and continue with our lazy Saturday morning.
4 comments:
Way to go Owen! Looks like such a fun time with your teacher and your mom. Good luck on the upcoming Jog-a-thon. We'll be rooting for you! Love, Aunt Kirstie
Super cool, Owen! You rock, kiddo! And the weather cooperated by not kicking up the rain until the afternoon! You are such a great kid! I'm so proud of you!
Nana Liana
Owen, you are just the best. You shine in what ever you do and you do it with such grace. We love you. GG
Oh good, I'm glad I got to hear the rest of the story on the "magic mile"!! What a wonderful day! I'm glad you got to enjoy your teacher, Owen! You can run the next time! I was thinking about you on Saturday morning!!!
Aunt Carol
Post a Comment