Friday, March 19, 2010

Gymnastics


I started Elliot in gymnastics and every time we go to the class, I wonder why it took me so long to enroll him. It is truly the perfect class for him. His strength, his energy, his muscular attitude all seem to blossom under the coaching of the gymnastics teachers. And, he listens so well to the directions, and takes his turn so nicely in class that I'm beginning to wonder if I should wear a YMCA t-shirt when we are at home and treat him as if he were on my gymnastics team... Maybe then he'd pay better attention to me? It must be like the babysitter syndrome -- the one where the baby goes to sleep early and quickly when the sitter is over but when it's the parents' turn there are tears and complaints and waves of resistance.

Anyway, gymnastics has been great, and this is the first time where I've been able to sit on the sidelines and watch, or read a book, or write a letter. Then after class we go to the playground and he continues to climb and play and explore. When Owen was in any extracurricular classes, I was always chasing after Elliot and wasn't able to really pay attention to what Owen was doing. Now, both Elliot and I are looking forward to our 45 minutes of gymnastics every week.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Omigosh Lisel, shades of when you and Kirsten were doing gymnastics! And look at that Elliot on the rings! He is so strong. What a perfect way for him to use up so much of that overpowering energy he has... and he clearly seems to love it! Wowza!

Nana Liana

Anonymous said...

Elliot definitely shines on those rings. He is in his element - no question! Good job Elliot!! GG

Anonymous said...

What a great idea!!! Elliot that class is perfect for you!!! Lisel, you are so clever at getting your little guys involved in good wholesome things!!! This is such a great way for him to use all of the wonderful energy God gave him! Good job, Elliot!!!

Aunt Carol