Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Putting on a Brave Face

I love the Zoo, but the slimy, creepy, crawly inhabitants of the Insect House make me shiver. Today I suppressed my gag reflex watching the hissing cockroaches munch on their rotten banana lunches, and felt inexplicably itchy when we finally finally left.


The Reptile House is not much better, especially when the cobra flicks his tongue right at Elliot through the glass as if to say "Just come on in, pleassssssssse!"

I keep all my disgust and prissiness in check, however, because I am a mother of boys. I can not let them think I'm weak or afraid. I refuse to have them growing up thinking I'm not strong (or cool) enough to do gross things.

Funny thing is, I feel stronger and braver because I'm pretending to be strong and brave. Umm, I guess Mama just got taught a lesson!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job Lisel - you should take your cue from Elliot - doesn't look like it bothers him one bit, does it?! I can't say I ever spent much time in there either. For the record, you are pretty cool (and brave) in my book! Love ya! Kirst

Anonymous said...

I must admit that hanging out with cockroaches and hissing snakes would not be my favorite thing to do either. Elliot, on the other hand, appears to be absorbing every detail. What a passion packed young man! GG

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean Lisel! Hallie is a bug nut! If you are going to be anywhere near a cool grandma you got to touch those critters your self! Yuk!! The Erickson drain ditch is the coolest place to play at my house. They catch tadpoles and the works! You almost have to hose them down before entering the house!! I hope it is making good memories! I watched Max let a honey bee crawl up his finger! I couldn't believe it!!!

Aunt Carol

Anonymous said...

Laughed myself silly with your comments! Apart from the cobra-scary and dangerous- the rest of the bugs are just trying to eke out a life. The boys look mesmerized by the bugs' activity. When they bring the big toad into the house , or you find a dead insect in their pocket, that's when it gets gross. You brought a baby snake inside when you were little- and fortunately it wasn't poisonous! Like Mother, like sons.

Nana Liana