Monday, March 08, 2010

Rainy Days of Spring

We have had a particularly rainy winter here, which has been welcomed and appreciated here in our drought-ridden southwest, let me assure you.....

Faced with a long wet weekend, we were prepared to stay in the house all day on Sunday. We played instruments, danced, spent some time doing finger painting and drawing, made Apple Oatmeal Rosemary bars (they were really good!), stayed in pajamas until after lunch, made a fort under the train table in the office, read some books, drank some tea and listened to some more music.

Owen and Elliot absolutely LOVE this CD that they got as a gift from a friend of my Mom's. They listen to it nearly every day and spend so much time poring over every page enjoying the art and analyzing the music. It's gotten Owen on quite the classical music kick lately and we have been enjoying Vivaldi, Chopin, Mozart, Copland, etc. as the music of our days. Quite enjoyable.

At any rate, yesterday was a beautiful -- but rare in San Diego -- indoor day, until we couldn't handle it any more and went out in the rain anyway. The boys can not stay away from their project of digging a huge hole in our dirt pile. They have some great plans for making a backyard swimming pool, and put out a large tub of dirt for the rains to soak in order to make "concrete" which they plan on pouring in the hole. They have a ways to go, but they are earnest in their commitment to the project.




By the way, thank you rains for our spring garden! We're so excited to see the strawberries starting to turn red!

4 comments:

HT said...

As a non-related fan of your blog I'm happy to see updates too! LOVE the photos. How do you get them to present so big? xo ht

Lisel said...

Heather! I'm so glad you are still visiting the blog! I'm trying to get in the habit of writing more regularly. As far as the pictures go, it gives me the option when I'm uploading for "large" pictures, so I always choose that option. It may depend on which template you are using for your blog.... anyway good to hear from you!

Anonymous said...

The swimming pool is VERY ambitious project, but who knows, those two look like they are up to the task. Actually, I remember similar ambition from my own childhood. I recall ending up with a pretty good sized hole, but, sadly, that hole never held water very long. The soil was very sandy and water went through it like going through a sieve. (Of course, we were not bright enough to think of lining the hole with cement!) It did, however; provide excellent exercise and I remember it being great fun dreaming of taking a good swim in our very own swimming pool. GG

Anonymous said...

Oh my, if that doesn't remind me of the sand hole where I nearly chopped my toe off because our sand hole was filled with water and I couldn't see my feet and I was digging with a spade. It is so refreshing to see little boys doing all of those creative boy things that make messes and get them dirty! They really are the all American boy (as the all American boy use to be!) Now you can hardly keep the boy's away from the screens! I'm cheering it all on. Owen and Elliot you don't know how fortunate you are to have a mom and dad that let you do all of these cool things!

Aunt Carol