Thursday, March 18, 2010

Suddenly, It's Summer

It's not even Spring yet officially, but the weather turned and yesterday was near 80 degrees outside. I apologize to all of you stuck in dreary cold and damp, but winter in San Diego is officially O.V.E.R!!!! And, due to our lovely moderate climate, these early Spring days are sunnier, warmer and filled with the excitement of summer happenings: plans for the beach, park, bike riding, gardening and frozen fruit popsicles for an after school snack.

In a sudden realization that our clothing choices would no longer work for 80 degrees, we went to the mall after school the other day for some clothes. Elliot manages to love all of Owen's hand-me-downs, so he is well taken care of in the clothing department. Owen, however, is so very tall that none of his clothes fit him anymore, so we got him some new shorts and summer shirts.

On the way back to the car, I tried to swing by the shoe department for myself. If you have ever taken two young boys shopping then you know the utter futility and sheer chaos of shoe shopping for yourself. I stood in the sale racks madly trying on shoes while I futilely repeated "Boys, stop running!" "OWEN, ELLIOT! Watch out!" as they careened around the racks blithely unaware of any other shoppers. Elliot managed to find a pair of red suede stilettos and put them on himself while he walked around saying "Look at me! I'm wearing dress shoes!" much to the delight of the shoe salesmen and the consternation of me, and I realized my time for shopping was done.

We came home and Owen put on his shorts and as we were playing outside I took a moment to really see how big he has gotten. Another Spring is almost here, Owen is nearly 7 years old, his adult teeth are prominently positioning themselves in his mouth, his features are becoming more angular and chiseled and he -- suddenly -- looks like a young man to me.

Oh, my.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have shopped like that before and it really is a trick!!! Probably Elliot entertaining the world helped to make the clerks' day. I bet they still were smiling when they got home. Owen not only looks like a young man but he IS a young man. Besides he is such a gentleman! Enjoy the warm temps. Up here it has been getting near 60's and to us that is as good as 80! We have been loving it!!!!!!

Aunt Carol

Bethany said...

Enjoy the summer weather for us! We're in Corpus Christi for a few days and the weather is very nice, but certainly not summer-like yet--which for us, is a good thing. :) I look forward to enjoying a tiny bit of the California summer later this year.

By the way, Lisel, I'm really enjoying all your recent posts. Thanks!

HT said...

It gorgeous in NYC... so for once I have no weather envy! Enjoy! xo

Anonymous said...

The shoe shopping is pretty funny. I can close my eyes and envision it all. Elliot trying on "dress shoes" must have brought a few smiles.

Yes, Owen is growing so fast. I find it shocking, really! And those beautiful pearly whites are filling in beautifully. What fun to see both of them growing up.

I, too, am enjoying the great weather!! GG